Friday, August 9, 2013

My Deceitful Desires

I often read a devotion from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.
Today's entry included the following scripture:

"You were taught with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires, to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."  Ephesians 4:22-24

WOW!  The words deceitful desires ...of my mind...hit me as though I had been slapped!  I have always had very strong opinions about what is right and wrong, what should or shouldn't be done, etc.  Over the winter I told myself I do not need to be in anyone's face about a lot of opinions, and share experiences of the older and wiser me.  And I have been better BUT NOT IN MY MIND!
So I acknowledged today that I had the deceitful desire to be right!  To know what some others did wrong and should do right and so forth.  It is good to act more like Jesus, but God wants us to think inn the attitude of our minds, like Jesus!
This is all hard for me to put into words but like I said, I felt like I had been slapped or knocked over.
I had to share, just in case you are like me.

Something else to ponder; try rereading scripture that doesn't strongly speak to you one day, again at another time.  Don't you find that as you grow in The Lord, scripture passages give you different insights.

I am learning to deal with my deceitful desires in a very humbling way.  Thank you God!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment